Monday, August 1, 2011

When We Struggle...

I want to talk about something that all of us deal with from time to time....STRUGGLE

Dictionary.com defines struggle like this:   to contend with an adversary or opposing force.

I feel that even when we are not met with huge "struggle" we continually have an opposing force in our lives...its called being human.  We make decisions throughout our daily lives to either respond or react to circumstances that oppose our ideals and desires.  For example, there are moments when I just want to react to someone's stupidity instead of respond maturely.  There are things that get under my skin, such as people being late all the time, or making sarcastic comments directed toward me (just freakin' tell me to my face rather than dance around an issue), or being one way to my face and 2 seconds later talking about me behind my back, because someone else has another opinion.  Can I just say get get a flippin' life already!  We can choose the high road, or lower ourselves to that person's level.  And yes, I said lower, because we need to have a standard operating in our own lives that we are unwilling to compromise on, for anyone!  So there are struggles we face on a daily basis that don't put us into crisis mode, but can get the best of us at times.  Hopefully we are mature enough to apologize when we react instead of respond to these types of things.  I want to talk about what we do when we face big struggles.  Life changing struggles and how we should respond to those struggles.

Can I just say that I am one who knows struggle!  I've been a single parent for 16+ years (that's huge).  I've had financial struggles for most of that time.  I've had people judge me because of my past (Christians no less).  I've had people judge my parenting style.  I've lost everything and had to start over.  I've had friendships dissolve in front of my eyes because I've had to take the high road on some issues.  I've lost jobs.  I've been sexually assaulted.  The list goes on and on.  So, I know struggle. 

Over the past few months, I've had to purposely "fix" my attention on some areas that, if not dealt with, could have literally taken me so far off course in life.  The struggles have seemed to nail me from every direction - family, personal, parenting, friendships, relationships, music, and the list goes on.  My way of dealing with life struggles is to withdraw for a period of time from the sources of the pain, and surround myself with what I call, "My Core."  This consists of individuals who have known me for many years, are solid in Christ, and LIVE the WORD obediently!  Included in "my core" are also individuals that have known pain themselves and have overcome.  I think its super important to have relationships with people that really identify with the things in which we struggle.  Its very difficult for me, not impossible, but difficult for me to open my heart to someone that cannot identify with my struggle.  Unless of course, its one of my spiritual father's.  There is something about having that "Spiritual Dad" that can just make things clear!  (I encourage you to find one or several.) 

I want to give you some keys in which to deal with personal struggle, so you are able to rise above the circumstance, identify your weakness and begin the process of exchanging it for God's strength!  

1.  Deal with bitterness and FAST!

Whether its others that have judged you, or you feel mis-understood, or you even feel that God isn't rescuing you (we feel this people...let's be real) and making things better, don't get bitter!  I had a conversation with a woman recently that is having huge issues in her church and she is dealing with bitterness.  Listen, bitterness causes resentment and resentment causes us to have a critical spirit!  When we become critical we cannot see things clearly!!!  A critical spirit robs us, not anyone else, of life! 

2.  Choose the TRUTH!

Look, even if you are frustrated with God because you feel He's not helping you in the time you are requesting it, you need to persuade your heart!  God is ON YOUR SIDE!  You must be completely persuaded on that issue!  God does not react to our temper tantrums.  God responds to our situations and struggles.  His plan will not fail!  I am reminded of some song lyrics...."sometimes He calms the storm with a whisper peace be still, He can settle any sea, but it doesn't He will.  Sometimes He holds us close and lets the winds and waves go wild.  Sometime He calms the storms and other times He calms His child."  I love this song, and while I don't agree with all of the lyrics because I don't believe God brings pain to our lives, I do believe He brings divine discontent so we see doors of opportunity He's preparing for us.  See, sometimes we get so comfortable and miss where He wants to bring us.  We need to know our identity in Christ and we also need to know the power of Christ within us.  He will cause us to overcome!!  No if's, and's, or but's about it!!! 

3.  Understand that rejection is not personal.

Rejection is a painful place and is usually very personal to us.  Refuse to let it be!    We as human beings can miss it so much!  Every single one of us!  We are far from perfect, but we have a Savior, who in His perfection, can identify with rejection! Jesus was rejected! 

4.  We have a race to run - get rid of the baggage!           

As a former track runner in high school, I would get the lightest weight, running shoes and seriously light weight spandex when I was competing.  It's no accident when you see runners wearing as little as possible when they are in competition.  You don't want anything to hold you back and slow you down.  Its the same in our race that God has ordained and set before us.  Identify the baggage that is holding you back and deal!   

As for us, we have this large crowd of witnesses around us. So then, let us rid ourselves of everything that gets in the way, and of the sin which holds on to us so tightly, and let us run with determination the race that lies before us.   Hebrews 12:1 [Good News Translation]

5.  Look at the opportunity, not the problem!

It's easy to be overwhelmed with the problem, but I encourage you to look at the opportunity.  Whatever you are dealing with, it's an opportunity to trust God!  Focus on the opportunity!  Focus on the fact that God will rescue you - it's His Word!  Don't take your problem into your own hands.  Your strength is futile in comparison to God's.  Choose to exchange your problem for God's opportunity!  Your weakness for His strength.  You are just one choice away from resolving your struggle!  Leave it in the Master's hands and continue to run your race!  There is a finish line and it's gonna be a celebration when you cross that line!

In His Grip, Grace and Strength,

TDahl

1 comment:

Trek1954 said...

I love what you wrote "Rejection is a painful place and is usually very personal to us. Refuse to let it be! We as human beings can miss it so much! Every single one of us! We are far from perfect, but we have a Savior, who in His perfection, can identify with rejection! Jesus was rejected!"

I needed to be reminded of that today. I sent someone $50 and someone else a nice humble birthday card to make peace and the thanks I got was BLOCKED. I had hoped for peace and forgiveness in the family. (Both family members). Though I know it's an unforgiving heart on their behalf, it still hurts- alot.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter