Saturday, August 6, 2011

...And It Will Be Established For You

Can I just say I love the Word of God!  As I get older, I love it more and more.  I think as we age, we begin to focus on the the things that are truly important.  Things that are eternally focused and not temporal.  I'll never forget a statement my pastor made several years back in regards to material possessions.  He said "just drive by a junk yard and think to yourself, that used to be someone's dream (referencing the scrap pieces of metal and smashed up vehicles). 

I've been evaluating several areas of my personal life (which I do often), but something is different this time.  I'm not exactly sure what the change has been this time, but there has been a change.  I'm looking at how I'm spending my time.  I'm examining how I'm spending my money, even moreso than I ever have (I do this often as well-its a must for me).  I'm really challenging my ideas, thoughts and actions and asking myself...are these eternal minded or temporal minded?  Let me give you an example....

I enjoy "Starbucks!"  Yes, who on earth doesn't?  Hello!  I do not go there often, unless someone has given me a gift card because anytime you pay almost 400%, more, yes, I said 400% more for something than it actually costs the retailer, you know your literally throwing your money away (my sister used to run a "Starbucks" so I know a little about costs here).  However, it doesn't keep me from doing it once in a while.  This last time I went in and paid my $4.65 for my Venti Skinny Vanilla Latte add foam and whip (my mouth is watering) it somehow didn't taste so good.  See, for $4.65 I could have invested that in someone's life in Haiti (I went there on a missions trip).  I could have went and bought a jar of spaghetti sauce and a package of pasta and provided a meal to a family who doesn't know where their next meal is coming from.  I could have sown it into my churches offering to help pay for postage when mailing a CD to someone who has never heard the gospel.  I could have sown it into the ministry network I'm a part of to help support pastor's in Africa that are going to be part of a leadership conference soon.  It's amazing what $4.65 can really do these days!  These are "eternally" minded thoughts!  It almost made me sick that night when I purchased that "Starbucks" and sipped on it, with these eternally minded thoughts rolling around in my mind.  I didn't even enjoy my purchase!  In fact, my mouth has stopped watering just thinking about that night.

I've really been thinking and pondering lately on my life's purpose.  The reason why I'm here, right now, for just this time.  God chose me to be here on this earth at this time in history!  Why?  You cannot get a temporal answer on that question - it can only be answered from an eternal perspective.  God's KINGDOM perspective!  This is what I know...God gave each of us gifts and talents.  I believe with all my heart that He also chose that our gifts and talents would also be our earthly provision.  It would be how you made a living to support your family, and expand the Kingdom.  We are part of a Kingdom!!  A Kingdom so big that it's eternal!  It's forever and ever!!!  Let that sink in for a moment.  Foolishly, we've built our own kingdoms that have very little to do with eternity.

Now, I am not saying don't ever have a "Starbucks" or don't ever go out to eat, etc.  I'm not saying don't live in a nice house, and have nice things.  It is more than ok to prosper!  God desires prosperity for His children.  What I am saying is lets closely evaluate our investments into Kingdom things and compare them to our investments in earthly things.  We need to be Kingdom minded and then earthly minded!  Many of us have put Kingdom mindedness in last position, when it should be in first position!  MYSELF INCLUDED in that statement!

As I was reading the Word this morning I went to one of my favorite scriptures...Job 22:28.  However, as I was reading, the Lord prompted me to read the verses above that scripture....let's take a look together.


Job 22:21-28 [I've noted several translations]

21.   Agree with God, and be at peace; thereby good will come to you. [Revised Standard Version]

22.   Accept the teaching He gives; keep His words in your heart.

23.   If you return to the Almighty, you will prosper. If you put wrongdoing out of your tent (home) [God's Word Translation]

24.   Throw away your gold; dump your finest gold in the dry stream bed.

25.   Let Almighty God be your gold, and let him be silver, piled high for you.

26.   Then you will always trust in God and find that He is the source of your joy.

27.   When you pray, He will answer you, and you will keep the vows you made. [Good News Translation]

28.   You will also decree a thing, and it will be established for you; And light will shine on your ways.    [New American Standard Version]

I'm reminded of my Aunt Rosemary who pretty much gave up all her earthly possessions and served as a missionary on an Indian reservation in Nageezi, New Mexico.  She was there for 5 years.  She had to draw her own water for baths.  Her bathroom was an outhouse and she lived in a little trailer.  She believed God for everything she needed.  God gave her the desire to serve and her focus was Kingdom minded (it would have to be to live in those conditions and LOVE what you do) and she lived on the financial support of those who had "Kingdom" thinking!  I've asked myself...what am I willing to give up?  I am choosing to exchange my "earthly" thinking for "Kingdom" thinking!   I don't think we're giving up anything to be honest, because we are gaining so much more!  As I read the above scriptures, I have embraced these verses of scripture as a whole and say "God I want to trust YOU, and not me anymore!"  

My hearts desire is to be a successful music artist in both the secular and Christian markets-AND I WILL BE!!!   However, I want to have Kingdom minded thinking in my decisions.  My hearts desire is to touch the world with my gifts and talents that God has given to me and to leave a legacy that lives beyond myself, pointing people to Jesus Christ!  I want to invest more in my church financially!  In fact, I'm saying it right now, that my heart's desire is to build the housing for single parents that is part of the vision and mission of my church.  In order for me to do that, I need to be Kingdom minded on the receiving end as well as the giving end!  That means it begins now, in the small things.  I have to open my heart to receive incredible prosperity (that is a mindset) and to also develop the mindset to sow incredible prosperity back!  It starts with me declaring and then watching it be established "FOR" me!  What is your declaration?  

In His Grip, Grace and Strength,

TDahl 

1 comment:

Sameer said...

This is really great. Thank you for sharing your heart!!! I pray He moves in these mighty ways as you keep Him and His kingdom first.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter