Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why Can't We Just Be Real?

I love to watch people and study their body language and actions as well as listen to their words. Once I get to know someone, I find that most of the time their words rarely are backed up by their actions. I find that incredibly sad! Our words should line up with our deeds. If our words do not line up with our deeds, then I must ask the question "why can't we just be real?" When our words are not followed by actions, then we must ask ourselves why.
One of the saddest things I see is people hiding behind various masks trying to disguise who they really are. The mask could be religion, relationships, a title, or possessions. They may say all the right things, but their actions are entirely opposite. For years I lived my life behind a mask, but eventually I came to a place within myself and realized that if I wanted to effectuate change in this world, it had to begin with me.
So why is it that we feel we just can't be real? Why must we put on a mask and literally rob ourselves and others of who we really are? Why do we have to hide behind masks? Maybe who we really are isn't as nice as what we portray? Maybe it's because we are so insecure in our own identities that we try to take on the identities of those we admire instead, but highly fail because that is not really us!
Recently I had a long discussion with someone about the importance of authenticity. If you hang around someone long enough, you will eventually discover the real them. That's why when people get married that are supposingly so in love, wake up 6 months after the wedding asking themselves "what the heck did I do?" and "who is this person laying beside me?" because neither person was their true authentic self. We've been deceived and we blame the other, because it's always easier to look at that other person rather than take your responsibility of your own actions. We always look to play the blame game.
We humans have this great weakness of living out of our emotions worrying what other people may say or think about us. We want to control what other people's opinions about us are! I think that's the most insane thing, as we have no control over that. We would rather try to control the thoughts words of others than to just live authentically.
Why? Because, rejection is our greatest fear! Even the rejection we place upon ourselves by thinking negatively about who we are. We all want to be loved and accepted. We all want to make a difference in the world and know that it was a better place just because we lived. At least I do!
I believe for us to begin making the difference and impact we were meant to make, we must first begin with living out of our true selves - not afraid to be who we are and express those things that make each of us an individual. I believe that this world would become a better place just by our being here, and we would find great friendships, great relationships and have the fulfilling, meaningful life we were destined to have!
So...Let's just be real! Don't fear who you are - God created you and put His stamp of approval on you!
*Always remember, there is only one you! There is no one else on the planet that can do what YOU were created to do! Live your God-given destiny! You're the only one who can!!! Tammy L. Dahl

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter