Monday, September 2, 2013

Identity Theft

So my mind has been pondering this blog for the last few weeks....

I am a grace girl!  Holy Spirit taught me the message of grace and then connected me with individuals that taught this message several years ago.  Since then, God has expanded my connections, as well as grew me in several areas, and continues to grow me.  The cool thing about having the connections I do, with other grace teachers, is you get a different perspective through each and everyone's viewpoints.  I love it!  One thing we must never forget is we all know in part and one day, these amazing puzzle pieces will connect and we'll see the truth as it is meant to be seen. 
 
One thing I feel needs to be taught more in the grace circles is how the enemy seeks to rob us, and when he is successful, also robs others, as a result of robbing us!  I've heard things like "the devil" can't talk to you; he has no authority; he was stripped of his power, etc.  And while it may appear to be truth when you hear that, I believe its only a partial truth.  That's how the enemy works though.  He twists truth!
 
"Our identities are robbed when we choose to wear a mask"
 
 
John 10:10 - The Msg   A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.

Let me give you my viewpoints:

#1 - I do believe the devil can talk to us.  I believe he speaks to us personally, as well as through circumstances, people, social media, television, news casts, etc.  I believe this because he spoke to Eve in the Garden of Eden, and he spoke to Jesus in the desert.

#2 - The devil has no authority is only a partial truth.  He has the authority we give him. 
 
#3 - He was stripped of his power - this is true, however he was not stripped of his ability to deceive.
 
Lets look at the temptation of Christ in Matthew 4:1-11 - The Msg
 
1. Next Jesus was taken into the wild by the Spirit for the Test. The Devil was ready to give it. 2. Jesus prepared for the Test by fasting forty days and forty nights. That left him, of course, in a state of extreme hunger, 3. which the Devil took advantage of in the first test: "Since you are God's Son, speak the word that will turn these stones into loaves of bread." 4. Jesus answered by quoting Deuteronomy: "It takes more than bread to stay alive. It takes a steady stream of words from God's mouth." 5. For the second test the Devil took him to the Holy City. He sat him on top of the Temple and said, 6. "Since you are God's Son, jump." The Devil goaded him by quoting Psalm 91: "He has placed you in the care of angels. They will catch you so that you won't so much as stub your toe on a stone." 7. Jesus countered with another citation from Deuteronomy: "Don't you dare test the Lord your God." 8. For the third test, the Devil took him on the peak of a huge mountain. He gestured expansively, pointing out all the earth's kingdoms, how glorious they all were. 9. Then he said, "They're yours - lock, stock, and barrel. Just go down on your knees and worship me, and they're yours." 10. Jesus' refusal was curt: "Beat it, Satan!" He backed his rebuke with a third quotation from Deuteronomy: "Worship the Lord your God, and only him. Serve him with absolute single-heartedness." 11. The Test was over. The Devil left. And in his place, angels! Angels came and took care of Jesus' needs. Teaching and Healing.
 
Do you see the enemy's tactic?  He was using truth, in an attempt to get Jesus to question His identity.  How did he do that you ask?  I mean, if he was using truth, then how was it a temptation? Well, Jesus knew solidly who he was, however I think there is something deeper to this scripture.  Do you notice the character trait of the enemy?  The character trait of the enemy is rooted in arrogance and pride! In fact, that's the reason Lucifer was kicked out of heaven, along with many angels that followed him.  The bottom line is, the enemy is an egomaniac.  So when he was tempting Jesus, he did it through trying to demean Jesus and basically tried to get an egotistical rise out of Him.  Didn't happen!  Christ, in all humbleness, shot the devil down with the Word!
 
What is an egoist?
 
dictionary.com defines it as an arrogantly conceited boastful person. 
 
Lets look at another word - Solipsism.  This is defined as, extreme preoccupation with one's feelings, desires, etc., extreme self-absorption. 
 
Is that not totally the character of the enemy or what!!!
 
I think of when Jesus was going to die on the cross, it was as if He was a sheep being led to the slaughter.  He gave us such an example of humility and humbleness! We know He experienced every form of humiliation known to man!  We as mankind, are so afraid of humiliation, embarrassment, and failure that we've become egotistical maniacs to try to preserve an image that is so false!  Why can't we just be real??  Is our self preservation really that important?? 
 
Listen, if we are going to touch people authentically, we need to live authentically.  Why is it so hard to say, my heart is broken, I'm hurting?  Why must we put masks on and act as if we are OK, when we're not!!!  It angers me that we are so pre-occupied with putting an image out there that says "I'm immune to hurt!"  It actually makes me sick!  I guess, I'm so passionate about this because for years I lived in torment to wearing a mask!  When I chose to live beyond the mask, I chose to be vulnerable and live with an open heart!  Am I ever tempted to reach for a mask?  Absolutely!!!!  Yet, when I pick a mask up,  I find it doesn't fit me!  I choose to remove it - embrace whatever pain I'm experiencing, and choose to share with others who can benefit from my journey! 
 
What kind of mask are you trying to wear?
 
What kind of identity theft are you allowing in your life?
 
Let's look at some masks of identity theft:
 
The "I'm never wrong" mask. 
How about the "I so don't need you" mask.
Then there's the "I can do this on my own" mask. 
What about the "I'm not hurting over this" - [insert circumstance] mask.
What about the mask of "accusation?" 
Finally, there is a huge mask that keeps us trapped and that is the "what will everyone think" mask!
 
Examine your masks and then challenge yourself to take them off, and choose to live in the identity Christ died to give you!  Use your life as a tool - mistakes, wrongs, hurts, and the list goes on! 
 
And a simple reminder - the enemy cannot make you do anything!  He can only attempt to deceive you and he'll do it through character assassination!  He'll try to trip you up by making you feel less than!  He'll attempt to get that ego to rise up in you!  Don't allow it!  Take the high road and if you're embarrassed or humiliated....so be it!  Use it for good by sharing with others!
 
Lets choose life!  Let's choose abundant life!!!  Lets be everything we were meant to be, AUTHENTICALLY!
 
TDahl 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter