Thursday, November 26, 2015

Grace Ridge

I was going to wait to actually post a blog about my upcoming life transition, but I just can't!!  I'm too over the moon, excited for this current "chapter" of my story that is well under way.  So here goes...

When I met my husband in 2013, little did I know what God had planned for us.  I was just about to enter the season of life of "empty nest" as my daughter had graduated high school and she was on her way out the door to spread her wings and fly (that's another story...aye yi yi).  I had been believing God for years for a husband, but there was absolutely nothing on the horizon....until that day his big truck rolled up at my bestie's birthday party!  I was sunk, he was sunk....and everyone that attended her party, speculated it as well.  I love our story!!!

Jeff and I knew pretty knew early on that we had met "the one," in each other.  While I'd like to say that it was one big perfect whirlwind romance, that is not the case.  We had major obstacles to overcome.  Not with each other, but with the season of life each of us were in.  He had nearly 3 years before his daughter was grown, and I had passed that season.  There was a lot of chaos in trying to create a life together.  We originally were going to wait to get married because of all the drama llama going on, but we decided otherwise and just lived apart for the first year of our marriage.  We wanted to keep things stable for his daughter, but at the same time begin the process of building our lives together.  It was a tough season to say the least, but God graced us to get through and in the process it built a strength in Jeff and I, as a married couple.  What was intended to drive us apart, actually brought us closer!  Daddy God knows how to make those obstacles in life we face, opportunities!  No doubt about it!!!

It was during this time we began the process of house hunting.  We knew we needed a unique property.  Now, Jeff is a very simple man.  He's not a materialistic person whatsoever.  He likes his mud trucks and mud toys.  I, on the other hand, am not simple!  While I'm far from being materialistic, I do like nice things.  A nice home is a must for me, because I like to entertain and I love to serve others.  I grew up watching my mom use our beautiful home to do the same.  It's just in me!  Jeff and I didn't want to be house poor, but at the same time, we wanted something perfect for us.  Our price and our desire....well lets just say was REALLY difficult, nearly impossible to find. We needed to find at least a 4 bedroom home with enough property to build a shop, no HOA, and a close drive to his work, and of course within a price range of "miracle!"  Easier said than done.  

About 6 months before we got married I was driving out to Clermont via the back roads.  I loved taking the back roads to his house because it reminded me of home where I grew up.  I loved the area!  Of course I would....there were absolutely no homes listed for under 300K.  Way over the budget!  As I was driving there I had this nudging in my heart to turn down this road called "Grace Ridge!"  So, I did!  As I was driving around this big loop basically, I saw this empty house with ZERO curb appeal.  The weeds and brush had grown up.  There was trash in the front yard.  BUT, I saw a HUGE 2 bay workshop behind the house.  I looked at the home, the lot, and simply closed my eyes to see the potential.  This was our house!!!!!!  I knew it!!!!  It just clicked in my spirit and I saw "us" there!  

The following Monday I went into work and looked the property address up on public record.  Sure enough the property was in foreclosure.  I began to follow the court hearings and records on this property.  We had a long, long, long way to go.  I thought to myself, this is crazy!  In the interim, Jeff brought my bestie's husband to see the property when they came to town.  So that told me he had some "hopes" about the possibility too!  

In the meantime, I still continued looking for homes.   We had been looking for nearly 2 years now. In our frustration, we even expanded our search to another area, which would be a lengthy drive for both of us.  Our needs were just too unique!  I grew tired.  I gave up.  I started again.  We found a house that we were "ok" with, but loved the property it was built on, so we made an offer.  They rejected.  We didn't pursue.  I was over it all!!!  Then, I went back to Grace Ridge.  It was STILL in the foreclosure process.  

Meanwhile back on the family front, more change had taken place.  Jeff's daughter was now residing with my mom and I.  We enrolled her in Lake Tech to complete her GED.  Jeff then moved from his home to mine.  With God's perfect plan, Jeff's son moved in to Jeff's house in Clermont, as a help to us, so that Jeff had a place to store all of his mud toys and tools (he has a small shop there), until we found a house.  We just all pulled together to make this thing work until we found what we needed.  

Then it happened.....GRACE RIDGE was listed!!!!!  Plot twist....it was insanely out of our price range!!!  I called our realtor and said "Jon, humor me for a minute!  I've been following a house that has been in foreclosure for nearly 2 years.  They've just listed it and its way out of our price range, but can we look at it?  I just want to see if its something we want to pursue IF they drop the price." Jon said "absolutely! Let's do it!"  We went to the house and spent 2 1/2 hours there.  It was EVERYTHING we needed and more.  It had God's fingerprints all over it for us!!!!  We stood on the pool deck together, and I just simply said "Daddy God, if this is for us, make it happen!  If it isn't, we'll be content where we're at!"  I watched that listing every day and then it happened....they dropped the price....significantly!!!  I was on it!!!  I called Jon and said "let's make an offer!"  We offered, they countered.  We offered again, they countered.  Then another person made an offer.  We offered.  They rejected.  Jon said he had never seen anything like this before.  Then I felt that the bank was trying to fear of loss us.  Ummmmmm news flash....don't try the "fear of loss" tactic with me.  When any kind of manipulation is present, then fear will be present.  God does not use fear!  Life tip...if fear enters your heart when it comes to gaining or losing something, let it go!  I said "Daddy God, I am not going to fear losing something because if its meant to be ours, it will be.  If this  house is ours, they will call us!"  A week later, Jon called us and said the bank wanted to work with us.  They asked if we could come up another 5K.  We did.  THEN they rejected our offer again because they wanted us to pay closing costs!  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!  We almost had to laugh about it at this point.  Finally, we made our final offer, they accepted, and we're closing on our beautiful "Grace Ridge," December 11th.  

God led us to "Grace Ridge!"  I find the address absolutely perfect!!!!!  Grace translated, means God's ability!  This house is becoming ours because of God's ability.  We put Him in charge and He put the right people together and gave us incredible favor with the bank.  God's plan for our lives is not absent of obstacles, however, when you view those obstacles as opportunities for God to show up and show off, you will never be disappointed.  Miracles happen!!!

God gave Jeff a HUGE workshop (with a very nice apartment in it, so his son is going to rent the apartment).  He gave me a spare bedroom (well eventually when my daughter decides to fly the coop again - yea, she came back home recently) that has one solid wall of built in book shelves.  I've named it my "writing room!"  I've always dreamed of a room that had a built in book shelf.  He gave me a fireplace in this home as well.  The floor plan is perfect!!!  I get to redesign my 80's dated kitchen (I love redesigning kitchens by the way - I worked for a builder for nearly 4 years and that was one of my favorite parts of my job.)  And, not that I'm a pool fan, because I'm not, but I love to entertain, so we will be able to have guests over to swim and enjoy beautiful Summer nights out on the screened in pool deck.  Seriously PERFECT for us!!!

While I have so many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving Day, I'm incredibly thankful that Daddy God has made this happen for us!  He's got us!!!  He's got you!!!  

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rock Your Story,

TDahl

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter